Friday, August 20, 2004


And speaking of the woods...

I spent yesterday afternoon with Mike, and a friend who was visiting him from out of town. The three of us took a lovely hike up into the Forest of Nisene Marks state park.

Our destination was a signpost, way out in the middle of the forest, that marks the precise epicenter of the massive 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

That was a day when, I can tell you from vivid memory (and perhaps in a future post I will do so), the forces of nature made it very clear that they're a lot bigger and more powerful than people are.

So to commemorate the day, some people went out and put up that signpost. It's the only human-built structure for a half mile in any direction.

Turns out, sometime in the past year, a gigantic tree fell over and smashed it to shit.

I'm not sure I can explain why, exactly, but I find that completely hilarious. Jesus Christ, what were the odds?

Bligs (0)


Comments:
Post a Comment

Home